Writing for Children Competition
Pic Maxwells Dublin
This competition is now closed.
Calling all those of you who write school stories, adventure stories, fairy stories and legends, stories about animals, toys, dinosaurs and monsters, stories featuring young detectives, young sportsmen/women and young heroes/heroines. Our next competition is for writers of children’s fiction. There are three age categories:
|Fiction for Children Aged||Word Limits|
|0-5 years||500 words|
|5-8 years||1000 words|
|9-12 years||1500 words|
No young adult fiction, please. We are looking for stories (fiction), rather than non-fiction or poetry, although, for the 0-5 years category, we accept rhyming and repetition as part of story-telling. Stories may, or may not, contain a Christian element.
Prizes (£20 book tokens) will be awarded for the first-placed entry in each of the three age categories. The first-placed entry in each category will appear in Christian Writer.
Many books for the very young make their impact through illustrations and textures as much as through words. Please provide notes of illustrations where they are essential to the story-line, but do bear it in mind that, if your entry is picked as a winner, no illustrations will appear in Christian Writer.
We are delighted to have as our judge, Amy Scott Robinson. Amy has published several children’s books through Kevin Mayhew. Her latest, Gladstone the Gargoyle, will appear in September.
How to Enter
All competition entries must be emailed to the ACW Competitions Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org Monday 30 September 2019.
ACW competitions are free to enter for members. For non-members, the entry fee is £3 for first entry, £2 for second entry. Please use the PayPal link on the ACW website (http://www.christianwriters.org.uk/) to make of these payments. No more than two entries per entrant, please.
Your entry must be
- Appropriate for one of the age categories above and no longer than the word limit for that age category.
- Unpublished, either in print or online.
- Written in English.
- Typed, in a plain font (such as Arial or Times New Roman) and double-spaced, with wide margins.
- Saved in Word format (.doc or .docx). (If you don’t have access to Word, contact the ACW Competitions Manager before submitting.)
- Contain no identifying marks (such as your name).
- Sent with a cover sheet (in a separate file) detailing the title of your story, the age category targeted, your name, address, telephone number and email address. If you have paid for your entry, please quote your PayPal receipt number.